- Emeritus Professor of Electrical Engineering title bestowed by the Univesity of Moratuwa with effect from 1 April 2014 at an Award Ceremony on 30 December 2014
- Outstanding Teaching Excellence for the year 2010 Award bestowed by the University of Moratuwa at Awards Ceremony on 25 September 2013
- Excellence in Engineering (Individual, Electrical) 2013 Award by the IESL at an Award Ceremony on 24 September 2013
- Excellence - Outstanding Research Performances - for the 3 years ending 2003 Award bestowed by the University of Moratuwa at Awards Ceremony on 28 September 2006
- Excellence - Outstanding Research Performances - for the 3 years ending 2002 Award bestowed by the University of Moratuwa at Awards Ceremony on 28 September 2006
- Excellence - Outstanding Research Performances - for the 3 years ending 2001 Award bestowed by the University of Moratuwa at Awards Ceremony on 28 September 2006
- Excellence - Outstanding Research Performances in the 15 years ending 31 December 1999 Award bestowed by the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 16 August 2001.
- Visiting Erskine Fellow, University of Canterbury, New Zealand (May - August 1997) [A distinguished, international academic visitor in the Faculties of Commerce, Engineering or Science, invited to give lectures for a period of upto 3 months]
- Prof. E. O. E. Pereira Award for the Best Paper read at the Annual Conference of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka in 1991/92.
- C D E Award for the Best Paper, by a corporate member of the IESL, published in the Journal "Engineer" during 1990/91.
- Commonwealth Fellowship to undertake postdoctoral research at UMIST, Manchester, UK (1981-1982)
- Best Paper presented at the I E E (Overseas Branch) Award by a Student or Associate Member - Under 30, in 1975/76.
- Prof. E. O. E. Pereira Award for the Best Paper read at the Annual Conference of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka in 1976.
- UNESCO Fellowship to undertake postgraduate studies at UMIST, Manchester, UK (1971-1974)
- Medal for the Best performance at the GCE Advanced Level Examination from St Joseph's College, Colombo 10, December 1965
- Medal for the Best performance at the GCE Ordinary Level Examination from St Joseph's College, Colombo 10, December 1963
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph D) - December 1974, University of Manchester (UMIST), UK, "Representation of Transformers in Switching Surge Studies"
- Master of Science (M Sc) - December 1972, University of Manchester (UMIST), UK, "Cross-bonding Cables and analysis of non-linearities"
- Bachelor of the Science of Engineering (BSc Eng) - September 1969, University of Ceylon, Peradeniya, Electrical Engineering Stream.
- G C E (Advanced Level) - December 1965, Maths Stream, Best Performance from St. Joseph's College, Colombo 10 - Exempted from First Year in Engineering, based on GCE(A/L) results.
- G C E (Ordinary Level) - December 1963, Science Stream, Best Performance from St. Joseph's College, Colombo 10.
- 29 December 2014 - Token of appreciation from the Sri Lanka Standards Institution (SLSI) in recognition of the significant contribution made in development of National Standards
- 19 December 2014 - A plaque in recognition of service rendered to the University of Moratuwa from the Vice Chancellor at the end of year felicitation
- 3 April 2014 – A plaque of appreciation from the Faculty of Engineering at a special felicitation ceremony at the commencement of the April Faculty meeting
- 31 March 2014 - A plaque of appreciation, from the University of Moratuwa Teacher's Association (UMTA) at a special lunch hosted by the UMTA Committee at the K-zone, Katubedda
- 28 March 2014 - A plaque of appreciation from the staff of the Department of Electrical Engineering at a felicitation ceremony at the department seminar room
- 27 March 2014 - A plaque from the members of the Academic Committee of the Faculty given by the Director Undergraduate Studies in appreciation of services rendered
- 20 March 2014 - A plaque of appreciation from the Director Postgraduate Studies of the Faculty on behalf of the members of the Board of Studies of Postgraduate studies and Faculty Higher Degrees Committee
- 13 March 2014 - A plaque of appreciation from the Electrical Engineering Society (EESoc) of the University of Moratuwa on the event of the AGM and get-together (2009 Intake)
- 16 January 2014 - A plaque of gratitude from the IET Young Professionals, University of Moratuwa Chapter at the IET YP AGM held at the University of Moratuwa
- 20 December 2013 - A plaque of gratitude from the students of the 2008 Intake of Electrical Engineering
- 24 October 2013 - A felicitation plaque from the 1969 batchmates from the University of Ceylon, Peradeniya
- 16 February 2002 - Honorary Life Membership of Alumni Association of the University of Moratuwa
- 14 February 1997 - The Josephian Honours for Excellence conferred by St. Joseph's College, Colombo 10 in recognition of honour and glory brought on his Alma Mater by his outstanding and distinguished service in public life
- 16 October 1987 - Jaycees Top Outstanding Young Persons (TOYP) Award for Academic Achievements which serves to formally recognize young people who excel in their chosen fields and exemplify the best attributes of the world's young people
Unsolicited Dubious Medals and Distinctions
The International Biographical Centre (IBC), Cambridge UK and the American Biographical Institution (ABI) Raleigh, North Carolina create high sounding awards and offers them to persons nominated by them. ABI claims that "inclusion in an ABI reference title is based on personal achievement alone and is not available for purchase". Nominations are confirmed and the award sent when payments are made of around US$300 (in 2010) for a commemorative Medal or award certificate. I did not pay and hence did not get the certificates.
Some of the unsolicited nominations and offers I have received have been listed below to illustrate the dubious nature of these awards, including receiving an International Man of the Year and an International Woman of the Year within a few days of each other (I hope you have a good laugh, I did).
- Nomination for the 2010 Gold Medal for Sri Lanka from ABI, USA by signed letter dated 21 May 2010
- Nomination for American Medal of Honor - Limited Striking - 2002 from ABI, USA by signed letter dated 6 September 2002
- Nomination for the International Woman of the Year from IBC, Cambridge, UK by signed letter dated 24 February 1997
- Nomination for the International Man of the Year from IBC, Cambridge, UK by signed letter dated 14 February 1997
- Offer of the 20th Century Award of Achievement from IBC, Cambridge, UK by signed letter dated 3 January 1997
- Inclusion in the Men of Achievement - 17th Edition from IBC, Cambridge, UK by letter dated 21 September 1995